WastedTimes

Rapidshare - An oppinion

Author:  peiratns [ Mon 21 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject:  Rapidshare - An oppinion

Rapidshare became a file hosting giant thanks to the "donation" of files from users from all over the world. The owners of RS are making good money by exploiding this. Off course they have to pay for the costs of hosting the files, etc. but the prices they charge for the service are outrageous (compared say to internet connection fees). In the good old times files were kept on FTP servers and they were free for all (well at least those that had the connections or knew where to look for them). The thrill was to find a server and upload the files and then make them avail, no profits involved, FREE4ALL.
You can call me a "romantic" in a sense but I miss those days. Services like RS makes me sick, but I accept them as a result of change, maybe "evolution". Personally I would like to put files where everybody can access them with no costs, limitations, etc. I will avoid using RS and the likes as much as I can.
What is your oppinion?

peiratns

Author:  Anonymous [ Mon 21 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

LOl I already had this discussion on the Mod Board. I have the same opinion as i too wish the ftp and old http links came back rather than using rapidshit which sucks......

Author:  hbgator [ Mon 21 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject:  Re: Rapidshare - An oppinion

I agree the hunt was part of the joy of the old days........I will never forget the feeling that I got after look long and hard for that special key or program Very Happy.....and my hat goes off to all the many groups that worked hard and long

Author:  Grim [ Mon 21 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

The hunt is still there if you look hard enough, Napalm ftp indexer still has a realm of goodies to be found on it, and so has index searching in Google etc.

I agree with the rapidshare thing though, I will never buy a premium account as long as my IP is dynamic and I have my Usenet paid up.

The one good thing about rapidshare is that it has a lot of stuff that you sometimes cant get on Usenet, things like small apps and the occasional ebook.

Author:  Lord [ Mon 21 Aug, 2006 ]

from years ago ,the forums were fulled with ftp links ,i guess it disappeared because they bust who open his ftp for sharing

so upload centers are safest way now also it allow you to extend in return of upload
so why pay

so it is all about money Confused

Author:  jkf [ Mon 21 Aug, 2006 ]

Until about 6 months ago, having a rapidshare premium account + flashget was
the thing to have... if you wanted large unattended multiple downloads.

Uploading also was not too bad until recently when they introduced multiple server
paths. Now RS has limited their upload speed so much that most of the other file
hosting sites will upload your stuff in less than half the time. It use to take me no
more than 10 minutes to upload a music album, now it takes close to an hour with
xfer rates that equal dial-up modem speeds...

Now many of the download links will not autostart, even if you have a premium link
and have everything set so you can queue the entire selection. Instead you have to
put the link in one at a time like a free user and that is terribly wrong...

But as much griping as I do, I max out my premium account almost everyday
from downloading movies... (hate it when it says "Account closed for the day...") lol

As I get older, I've come to think that free time is more valuable to me than the
price of the premium account. I'm done messing around with the connection...
I want the files in 20 minutes... not in 2 hrs... If I went to work for a couple of hrs,
I can pay for the premium account for a year and stop wasting my time dwelling on
hacks and cheats, which chews up more of my time... LOL

time is money and we have neither...

Author:  pakigang [ Mon 21 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

The thing that makes rapidshare so popular is their introduction of the points system. Make enough people download your uploads & you can extend you current a/c or make a new one. Its like business for many people, they buy the a/c, upload lot of files especially pr0n, make lots of points, make many new a/c & sell it to other users.

Author:  peiratns [ Tue 22 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

It narrows down to profit at the end, we all agree with that. What bothers me is the exploitation. Can we come up with a scheme that is truly free for all and won't be exploited by anyone?

Author:  Lord [ Tue 22 Aug, 2006 ]

I still remember first day of megaupload ,was free and fast and cool

now ,it is run by money , the tirck used by users to buy life time acount

and upload on it ,for every download ,you can get money back and make a big profit from it
http://www.megaupload.com/rewards/

Evil or Very Mad

Author:  cyberval [ Tue 22 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

yeah the good ol' days.

talking of remembering things.. I still remember teh day when i first joined Limn.., and made my way through the ranks..

Damn we hade some great time while we were all together.... Not to sound too romantic/nostalgic, but back then after work while heading back home, all kinds of posts and replies were sorrounding me, like how they will reply me, will they find this/that post useful etc.. and the same while getting back to job the next day....

Now almost everything seems to have fallen apart..

Author:  Anonymous [ Tue 22 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

Thats life........... And thats all there is to say........

Can i get an Amen LOL

Author:  Grim [ Wed 23 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

Amen

Author:  jkf [ Sat 26 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

You can have as many Men as you want...

Author:  Anonymous [ Sat 26 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

lol smart-ass do i need to show them the dishwasher picture because we all know how many men you have over there daily LOL

Author:  peiratns [ Sun 27 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

We demand to see the dishwasher photo!!!

Author:  Anonymous [ Sun 27 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

ok here it is
Code:
http://www.wastedtimes.com/Drake/dishwasher.jpg

Author:  peiratns [ Sun 27 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Author:  jkf [ Sun 27 Aug, 2006 ]

I had posted just the link for those that wanted to see it in:

Code:
http://wastedtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8183

because there are some young peeps and others that might find it offensive
in plain view and might think that some of us engage in such activities...

Author:  Grim [ Mon 28 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

Wasn't expecting to see that one again Laughing

Author:  Anonymous [ Mon 28 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

lol jk please explain to me who is a young person here. if theyre old enough to know about warez and how to pirate stuff im sure they have leanred how to use pr0n sites so a picture of your dishwasher is nothing that offensive lol

Author:  wAsTeD_C [ Mon 28 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

u can still hunt for links, just to get a romantic flashback... u can still find ftp servers, u can still dig through the net for some http, u can still test ur connections do get some exclusive access in some srver somewhere. BUT whats the point when everything 0day is posted on free servers? y its all for the money, but free servers have made more things accessible to more people. rapidshare makes money out of its users, who pay to dl, and ul to extend. usenet is better imho, but less peeps use it. torrents rule the sharing world actually, and imo they will always.

Author:  Anonymous [ Mon 28 Aug, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

i knew i liked you cappy. I second that motion as everything i get is from torrent unless i need a quick app or something from RS but thats verey seldom

: