WastedTimes

micros0ft piracy check comes calling

Author:  aiolos [ Tue 25 Apr, 2006 ]
Post subject:  micros0ft piracy check comes calling

Starting Tuesday, the software maker will push out a test tool that checks whether the copy of Windows a PC is using is properly licensed. It will be sent to millions of people in the United States, United Kingdom, Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand, micros0ft said Monday.

Following download and installation of the "Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications" tool, users of a pirated copy will see alerts at startup, login and during their use of the operating system. The alerts read: "This copy of Windows is not genuine; you may be a victim of software counterfeiting."

In addition, micros0ft this week is kicking off Office Genuine Advantage, which checks on installations of the productivity package, which includes Excel and Access. The plan is to test out the program initially in seven languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Greek, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Spanish.

more : h__p://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6064555.html?part=rss&tag=6064555&subj=news

Author:  ComputerUser [ Fri 28 Apr, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

Anyone know if a "system restore" will undo this update?

Wonder if the "corp" version of office 2003 that has been floating around forever will be broken...

Author:  aiolos [ Sat 29 Apr, 2006 ]
Post subject:  Re: micros0ft piracy check comes calling

Just don't have automatic updates enabled. That is enough.
Also use Autopatcher to update windows and not windows update.

Author:  jkf [ Sat 29 Apr, 2006 ]
Post subject: 

Seems they just can't leave well enough alone...

What Gates needs to do is a live subject test on his wife.

She might not be genuine... and system restore will spoil things badly...

Author:  aiolos [ Sat 29 Apr, 2006 ]

I found this :

Run task manager and kill WgaTray.exe. Then, go to System32 folder and find WgaTray.exe and wgalogon.dll. Rename both files to something like WgaTray1.exe and wgalogon1.dll and do a restart. No more annoying messages from micros0ft If your XP isn't registered. Tested, and works as of right now.

I don' t know if it works, because I don't use the WU crap, but if anyone starts getting popus he can try it. It's really ridiculusly simple, but then again WGA has always been an incredibly simplistic protection scheme.

Author:  violetta [ Tue 02 May, 2006 ]

thanks for the info!
after reading this I disabled automatic updates and guess what.. today this "update" was trying to sneak into my computer Very Happy

Author:  Lord [ Tue 02 May, 2006 ]

yea see windows update from two days ago asking me to download Windows Genuine Advantage , i already prevent the windows update because it screw up the shell and change the icons as well

thx for the info

: