WastedTimes
A Tribute to SameOLSam & The Limneos Forum

RegisterRegister 
It is currently Sat 20 Apr, 2024
All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Dutch judge threatens fines for filesharing website

Users browsing this topic: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
hbgator
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Dutch judge threatens fines for filesharing website
Reply to topic Reply with quote Go to the bottom
PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2009

Filesharing website Mininova must remove its links to copyrighted items within three months or risk a fine of up to five million euros (seven million dollars), a Dutch court ruled on Wednesday.

Dutch-based Mininova, which claims to be "the largest torrent search engine and directory on the net", acted unlawfully by allowing users to exchange films, games, music and television series, said the district court in Utrecht in the central Netherlands.

"Mininova encourages the users of its service to make copyrighted material available via its platform," read a statement issued by the court.

"This allows users to share protected material with each other and prevents the copyright owners from deciding how and under which conditions, including payment, their works should reach the user."

The court cited research findings that 80 to 90 percent of the files shared on Mininova were copyrighted material.

From its inception in January 2005 to June 2007, some two billion downloads were carried out via Mininova.

The case had been brought to court by copyright lobby group Stichting Brein, which last month obtained a similar ruling against another filesharing website, The Pirate Bay.

In that case, a judge in Amsterdam ordered The Pirate Bay to "cease infringing the copyright of the members" of Stichting Brein in the Netherlands.

The Pirate Bay, which claims to have some 22 million users worldwide, has applied for a retrial, due to be heard on October 5.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Dutch judge threatens fines for filesharing website
Reply to topic Reply with quote Go to the bottom
PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009

Yeah , I saw it on the news overhere, a big item , I guess this is the beginning of the end of file sharing....
Confused
   Board Index
   -> Open Discussion, Open Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]

Jump to: